Social media loves selfies, and so do we! Adventurers from all around the globe go out of their way looking for the best selfie spots, but most of us don’t have the unlimited funds to travel from one end of the world to the other. We need to pick and choose. But don’t despair, we’ve compiled our list of the top ten best places to take a selfie. Visit all ten, or pick your favorites. Just make sure you post them so we can all see!
- Pier 39, San Francisco, California, USA. Ever wish you could take your picture with a sea lion? How about hundreds of them? Pier 39 is home to K-Dock, where over 900 sea lions like to camp out and sunbathe. Tourists can view them up close and personal, though you don’t want to get too close. Remember, they’re not cats and won’t want to cuddle. But if you’re lucky, they’ll hold still long enough for you to snap a selfie with them smiling beside you.
- Hall of Mirrors, Palace of Versailles, France. Picture a room filled with mirrors, 357 of them to be exact. They’re all you can see except for dozens of your reflections. Now picture the sort of selfie this will make. Chateau Versailles has many rooms, but none quite like this. So many mirrors can play tricks with your eyes as well as the camera, but that’s the fun of this place. All you need to do for the perfect selfie is stand back and push the button, the mirrors will take care of the rest.
- Niagara Falls, New York, USA and Ontario, Canada. Looking for all-natural beauty that straddles two amazing countries? Niagara Falls is comprised of three giant waterfalls that share an international border. The tallest one is 167 feet. That may not be as tall as a mountain, but imagine huge waves crashing behind you over a crystal blue river. No, you can’t go over the falls in a barrel, but you can ride a boat pretty close to the edge, or better yet, take a tour behind the falls. Imagine a selfie where you’re standing behind the cliffs a waterfall!
- Madame Tussauds Wax Museum, London, England. Yes, you can find Madame Tussaud’s in several major cities around the world, but none can compare to the London original. Ever wish you could take a picture with your favorite celebrity? Here you’ll find celebrities frozen in time, and wax, just waiting for you to cozy up next to them for that perfect selfie. The only way to get in is to pay your entrance fee, but that’s a small price to pay for a lifetime of memories.
- Mendenhall Glacier and Ice Caves, Alaska, USA. Think frozen water is boring? Think again. These ice caves will take your breath away, that is if you can ever get to them. The only way to visit these caves is to canoe or kayak out to the glacier. After that, get ready for some climbing. The entrance is one way—up! If you make it that far though, you’ll have a beautiful selfie worth far more than a thousand words, and several jealous adventurers who couldn’t quite make it as far as you.
- Grand Canal, Venice, Italy. This beautiful Italian city has made its name on their streets of water, and the Grand Canal is the grandest of them all. Take a gondola ride down this picture-perfect channel and snap a picture of yourself with the waterway under you and the city behind you. If you get a selfie with the sun rising or setting, the colors will make the watery streets seem almost alive.
- Willis Tower, Chicago, IL, USA. Don’t get confused if locals still refer to this as the Sears Tower. The name belonged to this nearly 1,500-foot skyscraper for decades, and Chicagoans refuse to give it up. If you can brave the elevator that goes up 110 stories, you’ll find the Sky Deck. Step onto a see-through ledge designed to place you literally hanging over the city and take your best selfie. With Lake Michigan and dozens of other skyscrapers in the background, it’s one of the prettiest city-selfies you’ll ever take.
- Pyramids of Giza, Cairo, Egypt. We’ve all seen them. They rise out of the sand like great triangular skyscrapers. Nothing on Earth today compares to them. And that makes them the perfect place for taking your selfie. Whether you take a tour or do the self-guided thing, you’re guaranteed one of the best selfies of your life. If you actually get to climb the pyramids, so much the better. But even walking around their base will net your pictures you’ll never forget.
- Stratosphere, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA. At nearly 1,200 feet, this Las Vegas landmark is the tallest freestanding observation tower in the United States. And it has thrill rides galore. Take a selfie while cresting its almost 900-foot-tall roller coaster. If you can manage to hang on to your camera while bungee jumping, then you can snap a pic of the utter tear that is sure to overtake you when you drop straight down off the tower’s ledge.
- Kjerag Mountain, Rogaland County, Norway. Looking for natural beauty? Then look no further than Norway. This land is known for its many natural wonders, including Kjerag Mountain. Here, there’s a perfect selfie shot just waiting for you to come and claim it, but only the bravest travelers need to stop by. Sandwiched in the mountain’s crevice is a large boulder stuck tightly in place. Step down onto it and smile for the camera, but be careful, the drop’s a steep one, and if you fall, there’s no coming back.
Wherever your selfies take you, make sure to post the pictures on your social media accounts so others can see the amazing adventures waiting for them if only they take a chance.
When you get back from your journey, find a fresh way to preserve the memories you worked so hard to create. Make a photo album of all your amazing selfies, or get a travel map like Newverest’s Trek Scratcher™. Use it to track your past adventures and plan new ones. And make sure to let us know where your favorite selfie was, maybe we’ll add it to our list!